Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

   Fleetwood Schools

 

 

Fleetwood Historical Fact
1866 - Moses Folk Carriage Works corner of Washington & Franklin Streets then became Seaman's Chevrolet.

Fleetwood's History of Their Schools!

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

 

Fleetwood Elementary School Closing and Willow Creek Opening.

Fleetwood High School History

Fleetwood High School

The original high school building was located on West Arch Street. It was built in 1877 for about $4,000. Several additions were made in 1908, 1915 and 1955. In 1968 students entered a new high school building at 409 North Richmond Street.>

Over the next thirty years the district and student population continued to grow, and there was a need for more space on all levels. To make room for this, as well as future growth, a new high school was built at 801 North Richmond Street and was dedicated on October 4, 1998.

In addition to 40 classrooms, the new building features: an auditorium with a seating capacity of 1000; a gymnasium; an auxiliary gymnasium; a weight room; a larger library; a scatter-system cafeteria; a television studio; three regular instructional computer labs; and three business education computer labs.

The upgraded facilities and technology compliment the administration and staff's commitment to excellence as they work with continued community support to investigate and implement effective educational practices.

Fleetwood Middle School History

Fleetwood Middle School

The middle school, organized in 1966 - 67 with grades 6, 7, and 8, began its initial operation as a separate unit in September 1967, sharing the old school on Arch Street with the high school (grades 9 - 12), on a temporary split-session occupancy schedule. In February 1968, with the completion of the new high school building on North Richmond Street, grades 9 - 12 moved out and our middle school became the sole occupant of the then designed Fleetwood Area Middle School building on Arch Street.

Due to district enrollment and the need for updated educational facilities, the new middle school at 407 N. Richmond Street opened in September 1989. The high school/middle school buildings at 407/409 North Richmond Street were renovated in 1999 to become the district's middle school. The new building offers many physical advantages to students with updated equipment, physical facilities, an expanded library, and expanded computer facilities.

Fleetwood Elementary School History

 

Fleetwood Elementary School

Fleetwood Elementary School is located at 109 West Vine Street. The original building was constructed in 1957 following an agreement that was signed by the Fleetwood School District to create the Fleetwood Joint Junior-High School. It was agreed that each of the districts would provide provisions for their elementary students. Fleetwood Elementary original structure contained nine classrooms, a kindergarten, and a multi-purpose room. Eight full time teachers and three part time teachers served the 1957 student population.

As the Fleetwood area experienced growth, major renovations and an addition to the Fleetwood school occurred in 1992-93. The building now has 13 classrooms, conference rooms, a music room, an art room, a library with a reading nook, an office suite, a health suite, and a multi-purpose room.

Currently, Fleetwood operates under a K-4 organizational structure. A learning support class, a life skills class, and a gifted program compliment the regular educational program. A planned course of study has been developed by the instructional staff for each subject area, and curriculum reviews take place on a four year cycle.

Fleetwood's enrollment, as of this publication, is 262 students taught by a staff of 13 classroom teachers a learning support teacher and a life skills teacher and staff. in addition to the regular staff, the school is served by a Title I reading teacher, a support teacher, art, computer, music and physical education teachers, a guidance counselor, a librarian, a nurse, a speech and language teacher, an instructional aide, and a school psychologist. The office staff consists of the principal, a dean of elementary students a secretary and a clerical aide. The Fleetwood Parent Teacher Organization works very closely with the educational staff to provide a variety of activities, programs and instructional materials for students and staff. The Parent Teacher Organization is committed to strengthening the link between home and school.

The conscientious and caring staff of Fleetwood Elementary is committed to providing for all students the opportunities they need to reach their fullest potential as life long learners.

Richmond Elementary School History

Richmond Elementary School is located east of Moselem Springs on the south side of Route 222. Students from eight one-room schools; Virginville, St. Peter's, Kempsville, Kirbyville, Moselem Church, Schaeffer's, Stone Lane, and Walnuttown entered the original eight room structure on October 31, 1955.

The first major renovations to Richmond occurred in 1972. A large "open space" area, a library, and faculty room were added to the building to accommodate increasing enrollments. During the 1980's Fleetwood continued to experience rapid growth. In 1992-93 four classrooms and two special area rooms were added to the structure and major renovations were made to existing classrooms and office areas. The current building now has 11 classrooms, a music room, an art room, a computer lab, and a reading nook adjoining the existing library.

Currently, Richmond operates under a K-4 organizational structure. A planned course of study has been developed by the instructional staff for each subject area, and curriculum reviews take place on a four year cycle basis. A learning support class and a gifted program compliment the regular educational program.

As of this publication. Richmond's enrollment is 170 students taught by a staff of 9 classroom teachers and a learning support teacher. In addition to the regular staff, the school is served by a Title I reading teacher, a support teacher, art, computer, music, and physical education teachers, a guidance counselor, a librarian, a nurse, a speech and language teacher, an instructional aide, and a school psychologist. The Richmond Parent-Teacher Association is a very supportive organization which strengthens the link between home and school. The PTA provides a variety of activities, programs, and materials for students and staff.

The caring staff at Richmond Elementary is committed to providing for all students the opportunities they need to reach their fullest potential as life long learners.

Andrew Maier Elementary School History

Andrew Maier Elementary School was named in honor of Andrew Maier, a Reading baker who donated the land on which the school was built.

The original building was erected in 1951. The first major renovations to the school occurred in 1973, including an "open space" area, a library, and a multi-purpose room. In 1992, Andrew Maier Elementary School received a major overhaul, including a new gymnasium, computer lab, art and music rooms, as well as ten new classrooms.

Currently, Andrew Maier, as well as the other two elementary schools in the district, operate under a K-4 organizational structure. At each grade level, a planned course of study (curriculum guide) has been developed by the instructional staff for each subject taught. In addition to the regular education programs, a learning support class and a gifted program (ETC.) compliment and reinforce the curricula of all grade levels.

Enrollment for the 2000-01 school year, as of this publication, is 488 students, taught by a staff of 17 classroom teachers. In addition to the regular staff, the school is served by Title 1 reading, learning support, computer, art, speech and language, music, and physical education teachers; a guidance counselor; librarian; nurse; and instructional aides. In addition, the Parent-Teacher Club is very supportive of the school, providing a variety of programs, activities, and materials for student staff.

The Andrew Maier Elementary School staff is committed to excellence, providing a strong program of education that gives all students the opportunities they need to reach their fullest potential in a warm, friendly, and challenging learning environment.

 



Where We Meet!
100 Arch Street - Suite 1 - Fleetwood, PA 19522 - Phone: (610) 451-4070
© Copyright Fleetwood Area Historical Society. All Rights Reserved