the pastorate of Reverend Jacob B. Landis, the Reformed congregation
was granted a charter and adopted its own constitution on February
15, 1919. A parsonage at 121 West Arch Street was purchased.
Reverend Landis initiated: use of duplex envelopes; observance of
the communion service four times during the church year; observance
of the rite of Confirmation annually; establishment of a building
Wilmer H. Long followed on January 1, 1930. The Young Friends
Society became a reality in 1930 and the Daughters in 1931. Two
women were elected to serve on the Consistory for the first time in
1933óMrs. Marie Knoll and Miss Ella Hoffman. The following year
two more women were elected: Mrs. Uriah Fisher and Mrs. Stella
Kieffer. From that time to the present four women serve as
deaconesses on the Consistory of the church. In 1934 the Reformed
Church in the United States merged with the Evangelical Synod of
North America and became an organic body known as the Evangelical
and Reformed Church.
December 30, 1935, the congregation purchased a lot on the northwest
corner of Franklin and Arch Streets to be used as the site of the
new church. In 1936 tentative plans crystallized for the new church;
the Holy Communion was served at the seats for the first time; and
the Churchmenís Brotherhood was organized. The Fellowhip Cabin was
built on the church lot in 1937 and served as the center of all
social activities until the new church was built. In 1958 it was
opened to the Boy Scoutsóunder the sponsorship of the church.
J. Paul Kehm was installed on December 7,1943. Under his guidance
the Christmas Candlelight Service at 11:00 P.M. was inaugurated; the
giving of ďWhite Gifts to the and
General Council of the Congregational Christian Churches of the
United States of America were united and became the United Church of
Sunday, March 9, 1958, the new church, contemporary in architecture,
simple in detail, yet rich in design and warm in atmosphere, was
dedicated. On Community Night, local ministers brought greeting from
their congregations; on Wednesday, March 12, Sons of the Church
Night was observed; Reverend Daniel E. Schaeffer, D.D., of Emmaus,
Pennsylvania, and his brother, Reverend Charles E. Schaeffer, D.D.,
delivered the sermons; Reverend Lee Adams, pastor of the First
Methodist Church, Schuylkill Haven, Pennsylvania, and Reverend
Leonard Frey, Ph.D., Professor of Religion, Memphis, Tennessee, were
Kehm preached his first sermon in the new church on Sunday, March
16, 1958. The final dedication service was held in the evening when
Reverend Kehmís twin brother, Reverend C. Harry Kehm, Pastor of
Grace United Church of Christ, Allentown, Pennsylvania, and his
brother-in-law, Reverend Howard Kosman, Pastor of Zionís United
Church of Christ, Pottstown, Pennsylvania, and Reverend Delas
Keener, Pastor of First United Church of Christ, Schuylkill Haven,
Pennsylvania, were the guest preachers.
first Menís Communion Breakfast, November 8,1964, was so
successful that it is now an annual affair with 160 to 185 men
usually in attendance. Donald Heffley is in charge of preparing the
menu and of securing interesting speakers.
twenty-three years Reverend Kehm was the supply pastor of Beckerís
St. Peterís United Church of Christ, Fleetwood, R. D. No. 2,
Pennsylvania. In October, 1966, that congregation sold their part of
the church edifice to the Lutheran Congregation and united with St.
Paulís United Church of Christ of Fleetwood. Following the modern
trend of the minister today, Reverend Kehm built his own home on
East Jackson Street. The parsonage was sold in 1967.
1968, marked the first publication of the monthly newsletteróThe Unique Chit Chat which is sent to all members of the congregation at
home and in the Armed Forces.
and Seibert, Architects, and Howard Deisher, contractor, planned and
erected an addition to the church consisting of classrooms, a
conference room and offices for the secretary and pastor. A parking
lot was added in 1969 on the east side of the annex and on November
15, 1970, the Dedication of the annex was held.
Reverend Kehmís twenty-fifth anniversary as pastor of St.
Paulís, the congregation surprised him with a special service. He
and Mrs. Kehm were presented with a monetary gift which resulted in
a trip to Europe in September, 1969.